BDCu SRA 110 - Intro to CybersecurityAug 24, 2022, 6:00pm - Oct 12, 2022, 7:30pm
@ Beaufort Digital Corridor, 500 Carteret Street, Ste. D, Beaufort, SC 29902
This beginner-friendly course introduces the fundamentals of cybersecurity.
About this event
Who is this class for?
- Students seeking alternative education or wishing to enter the workforce post-grad.
- Transitioning Military seeking to enter the field of cybersecurity.
- Small Business Owners - This mini course trains business owners and their employees on the fundamentals of cybersecurity.
What will I learn?
Upon completion of this course, the participant should have a good understanding of the need for cybersecurity, including the scope and purpose of malicious activity.
Concepts such as the Internet, the "Internet of Things" (IoT), and the ways in which networks are connected and vulnerable, will be discussed.
Essential elements of cybersecurity will be introduced including:
- Access Control, the method used to restrict access to sensitive data.
- Security Operations and Administration, the action of identifying important, valuable company assets and related documents for the task of policy and procedure creation.
- Risk management, the methods in which cyber threats can be monitored, identified, and mitigated.
- Cryptography, the use of codes to hide and protect sensitive data from unauthorized access or malicious activity.
- Network Security, a cybersecurity subfield that focuses on protecting an organization's network from threats, including: denial-of-service attacks, malware, and internal attackers.
- Cybersecurity certifications, the method in which cybersecurity professionals specialize, train, and further their career path.
This course will also cover the intersection of cybersecurity and the law. The legal responsibilities of businesses and professionals to protect their client's sensitive data will be discussed.
This introductory course provides the necessary foundational information to begin and continue one's cybersecurity training. Upon completion, the student will be prepared for the second course in this three part mini-series: Security Policy & Procedures for Small Business Owners.
Completing all three courses in this mini-series grants the student an entry level Security Risk Analyst Certificate.